One of the factors which homeowners consider when buying new homes is the yard. They can imagine so many things to do with it like creating a car park, a garden, a pathway, or just a paved area waiting for intended uses like a solar dryer or a playground for example. However, most homeowners ignore or fail to consider the environmental impacts of their projects, unless, of course if there are some laws and local ordinances that should be observed along with it. In relation to this concern, it is time to consider pervious paving when planning home projects that involves utilization of idle yards or lands.
What Pervious Paving is All About?
It is a system of paving land that allows storm water or water at that to penetrate into the ground instead of letting it run into drainage or sewage systems and end up in rivers or seas. It acts like a filtering system where solids and other filterable contaminants won’t be able to seep through underground; thus, making water safer and environmentally protected. So in the long run, pervious pavement is an effective control system to remove pollutants before water is released into water basins. In addition, it is also an excellent way to prevent flooding and rehabilitate aquifers as pollutants and contaminants are stored in the surface instead of bringing it down underground or in storage basins.
What Are the Common Applications in Residential Homes on Pervious Pavement?
Why is it important that homeowners should be aware of and consider pervious paving? Part of the reason of course is due to its many applications. The real and major application is for pavement purposes. It is time for people to do away with impervious pavement in order to lessen degradation of water quality and an excellent alternative to impervious pavement when you construct the following:
- Parking areas – as it does not only filter water but the surface of this kind of pavement also helps reduce tire slippage and aids in avoiding accidental run over of your car.
- Driveways – your automobile deserves a pretty entrance; thus, you can view several styles and designs online; it doesn’t have to be boring concrete pavement always and this porous pavement drive on grass and concrete combination will do the trick.
- Residential sidewalks and road shoulders – if you do not have time to landscape this portion of your home, you can make it look good with this kind of paving system.
- Ramps and humps
- Patios and pool decks
Why Pervious Paving
According to environmentalist, engineers, and other professionals or experts, pervious pavers are known to contribute to the following:
- Replenish water basins or groundwater
- Minimizes water waste due to storm water runoff
- Reduces flooding incidence as it will help avoid overloading of water into the sewage systems or in water treatment plants
- Helps reduce cost of maintaining storage basins
- Reduces contaminants and pollutants; thus, water flowing into the rivers and seas are safer
- Helps reduce ice build up
- Minimizes skidding in parked cars when you have drivable grass driveways
- Prevent erosion of your property as it is also act as soil and gravel stabilizer
- Thwarts accumulation of clays and mud which are contributory in terms of water quality
What Are the Factors to Consider when Planning Pervious Paving?
These are the success factors to consider when you undertake a project that involves this kind of paving.
- You have to choose the appropriate pavement to use as there are too many options according to uses.
- Determine the sub-base as these will determine the amount of filtration and infiltration and at the same time durability of your pervious pavers in the long run.
- If there is a manufacturer installation guarantee, use it. Not only because it will be installed properly, but you will also receive tips and advices on how to maintain it properly.
- You have to take these maintenance tips seriously to make it durable and useful for longer years.
Pervious pavers are not only good for big establishments and government buildings as well as infrastructures like fire truck access; it is also a recommended alternative when homeowners decide to take on paving projects for their homes. It is an ideal way for turf reinforcement, saving properties from undue environmental damages and installing grass paver or permeable paver for example also achieves improving the aesthetic appeal of your house.